JOHN W. DAVIES MEMORIAL AWARD
The 2023 award is closed. Applications are now pending review.
In 2023, the Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers, Arctic Section is pleased to offer one scholarship award of C$3000 in memory of John W. Davies, a former Chair of the Section.
The competition is open to any full-time graduate student at a recognized University in Canada whose research will assist in providing solutions to problems specifically encountered in marine cold regions (such as in the Arctic, subarctic, Antarctic, Polar, subpolar, or other cold ocean/sea environments). Qualifying marine cold regions research should be in any of the following areas:
1) Transportation and operations, such as design, routing, safety and risk assessment, construction, or military.
2) Development of offshore resources.
3) Interaction of shipping and/or natural resource operations with ecosystems.
4) Impacts of climate change.
5) Developments in safety, Search and Rescue (SAR), environmental protection and pollution mitigation.
6) Special areas of research in marine cold regions.
The selection panel requires the following items to complete the award application.
1) An abstract of approximately 500 words is to be submitted explaining the objectives of the research being undertaken, progress to date, and how this research is to be applied in marine cold regions. Applicants are also encouraged to describe how their research is placed within the context of broader marine cold regions issues.
2) A resume.
3) Transcripts of marks – To be sent by the university directly to the Awards Committee (for the most recent degree completed and the degree in progress).
4) Three letters of reference - Two of the references should be from former or current professors. All letters are to be sent by the referees directly to the Awards Committee, can be sent via email.
The deadline for applications is midnight Mountain Standard Time on Friday, June 30, 2023. Applications will be accepted by email and mail. If sending via courier, contact the Arctic Section by email to confirm the delivery address. Complete applications must be received by the deadline.
This scholarship will be awarded in the fall of 2023.
Applications should be sent to:
Arctic Section Awards Committee
Attn: Azmy Aboulazm, PhD, Awards Committee Chair
See previous award recipients.