JOHN W. DAVIES MEMORIAL AWARD
The 2021 award is now closed. Applications are currently under review. Results will be announced in the fall of 2021.
In 2021, the Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers, Arctic Section (SNAME AS) is offering one scholarship award of C$3000 in memory of John W. Davies, a former Chair of the Section.
2021 Eligibility and Research Areas: The competition is open to any full time graduate student at a recognized University in Canada or the US State of Alaska whose research will assist in providing solutions to problems encountered in the Arctic or in cold ocean environments. Specifically the research may be in the areas of:
- marine transportation,
- development of offshore resources,
- eco-systems interaction with development of Arctic/cold ocean resources,
- climate change impact in marine cold regions, or
- special areas of research for Arctic/cold ocean environments.
An abstract of approximately 500 words is to be submitted explaining the objectives of the research being undertaken, progress to date, and how this research is to be applied in the Arctic or to cold ocean environments. Applicants are also encouraged to describe how their research is placed within the context of broader Arctic issues.
In addition, the selection panel will require:
- a resume,
- a transcript of marks, sent by the university directly to the Awards Committee (for the most recent degree completed and degree in progress), and
- three letters of reference, two of which being former or current professors, to be sent by the referees directly to the Awards Committee.
The deadline for applications is midnight Mountain Standard Time on Friday, June 25, 2021. Applications will be accepted by email and mail. If sending via courier, contact the Arctic Section by email to confirm the delivery address. Complete applications must be received by the deadline. This scholarship will be awarded in the fall of 2021.
Applications should be sent to:
Arctic Section Awards Committee
Attn: Azmy Aboulazm, PhD, Awards Committee Chair
Mailing address: PO Box 61105, Kensington RPO, Calgary, Alberta, T2N 4S6
See the award recipients to 2020.