- Declare Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering at the University of Michigan.
- Join the Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers (SNAME), which you can do through their online application.
- Attend general meetings, which are announced via email. Please contact us if you are not getting our announcements and think you should be.
- Earn points by attending general meetings, SNAME section meetings and conferences, volunteering events, and social events. These are also announced via email as well as at our general meetings.
- Access to professional development and networking experiences through company and industry presentations. In the past, these opportunities have led to internships and full-time positions as well as resume critiques, interview practice, and insight into the marine industry in general. (Bonus: free dinners are often provided at meetings.)
- Earn scholarships, gain access to SNAME's career center, buy discounted textbooks, and/or get published.
- The Mentorship Program, which connects younger and older students in the UMich NA&ME department to create a stronger community.
- Social events that help bring the department together outside of classes and research. Past events have included ice skating, kayaking, and restaurant nights.
- Volunteer opportunities including DAPCEP and department recruiting.
- Eligibility to attend SNAME meetings and conferences; often funding is available through Quarterdeck to reduce the cost to members. Additionally, the more you get involved, the more likely you will be chosen to attend the next SNAME Annual Conference.
- Shipyard visits to places such as Marinette Marine and Huntington Ingalls.
To get even more details--including estimated dollar-value amounts--about the benefits of a SNAME membership as a student, check out their website.
How to Join the University of Michigan - Student Section within SNAME
- Log in to SNAME
- Click on your profile icon in the top right corner, then "Profile"
- Click on "My Connections," then "Communities"
- Click "Explore All Communities"
- In the first search filter box, select "Student Sections"
- Scroll down to "University of Michigan - Student Section" and click "Join"
- Select email preferences and then click "Yes join the community"